Is your little one struggling to fall asleep in their own room? Maybe they are moving from the moses basket to a cot or your toddler is moving from a cot to the big bed.
As a Sleepy Lambs Sleep Consultant, I work with clients on room and cot transition a lot. All these big moments have a huge impact on our children’s sleep routine and you play an important part in ensuring the “move” goes smoothly.
It can feel really daunting for them to start sleeping somewhere different! A great way to ensure your little one is comfortable in their surroundings is to do lots of cot and room play in the space they are sleeping.
The key is for them to get used to their new surroundings without you making too much of a big deal about it. Play it cool!
1. Include lots of fun and laughter. Laughter helps the association of happiness in their new space!
2. Do as much room and cot play as you can before they go to bed there.
3. Discuss shadows and shapes and remove anything that could seem scary or unsettling.
4. Try and do room and cot play away from bedtime.
5. Show the children where you are going to be sleeping if it’s in a different room so they know where they can find you.
No matter what try and stay calm and confident. Children and baby’s feed off our mood. It’s hard but stay be positive, loving and reassuring. Your little one will get the hang soon and be well on their way to enjoying their new space!
If you would like some tips on getting your toddler out of the sleeping bag and into a duvet, check out my video!
You’ve got this mumma! x
Cara is a sleep coach based in Surrey. To find out more about working with Cara, click on her profile at the top of the page.